Wat is het godsoordeel?
“O God, the just judge, who are the author of peace and give fair judgement, we humbly pray you to deign to bless and sanctify this fiery iron, which is used in the just examination of doubtful issues. If this man is innocent of the charge from which he seeks to clear himself, he will take this fiery iron in his hand and appear unharmed; if he is guilty, let your most just power declare that truth in him, so that wickedness may not conquer justice but falsehood always be overcome by the truth. Through Christ.”
De verschillende soorten proeven
- Bartlett, Robert. Trial by fire and water. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1986.
- Brown, Peter. “Society and the supernatural: A medieval change.” Daedalus 104, no. 2 (1975): 133-151.
- Colman, Rebecca V. “Reason and unreason in early medieval law.” The Journal of Interdisciplinary History 4, no. 4 (1974): 571-591.
- Hyams, Paul R. “Trial by ordeal: The key to proof in the early common law.” in On the laws and customs of England: Essays in honour of Samual E. Thorne, ed. Morris S. Arnold Chapell Hill: The Universoty of North Carolina Press, 1981.
- Leeson, Peter T. “Ordeals.” The Journal of Law & Economics 55, no. 3 (augustus 2012): 691-714.
- Miller, Ian William. “Ordeal in Iceland.” Scandinavian Studies 60, no. 2 (1988): 189-218.